Great Miami River Cleanup
Clean Sweep of the Great Miami River
The Great Miami river is a tremendous resource for fishing, boating, canoeing, and biking while sustaining a variety of wildlife in Ohio. It also has an indirect affect on the citizens of Butler County since it is the main recharge for the Great Miami Buried Valley Aquifer which provides drinking water to several hundred thousand people throughout the region. Yet the river doesn’t always get the respect it deserves, often becoming the recipient of everything from plastic bottles, dirty diapers, used tires, oil cans, cars, trucks, old water- logged furniture and more.
Once a year several businesses, conservation organizations, government agencies and hundreds of volunteers from the community gather to show their appreciation and support of the river by donating their time and cleaning it up. Communities from Middletown to the Ohio River partner to organize 14 sites along the river bank as part of an overall effort to clean the entire length from Indian Lake north of Dayton, Ohio to the Ohio River. The Indian Lake to Middletown river clean up takes place in July.
WE CAN ALWAYS USE MORE VOLUNTEERS! It is a perfect opportunity for churches, schools, scouts sports teams and families to get together, make a difference and learn a few interesting things about the river and wildlife that inhabits the area.
Our next river cleanup is October 27nd, 2018 at 9am to noon. Garbage bags, gloves and water are supplied at every cleanup site. In exchange for participating you will receive a free t-shirt. Come “Make A Difference” by volunteering to clean up your community and environment!
The 2018 cleanup sites span along the river. For more info, visit www.greatmiamirivercleanup.org.
- Franklin Carmody Park
- Middletown Jimco Kayak at Spoken Bicycles
- Middletown Bicentennial Commons
- Madison Twp Neals Excavating
- Oxford Corso Road Covered Bridge
- Trenton Community Park
- Liberty Twp Dudley Woods
- Woodsdale Metro Park
- New Miami Veterans Park
- Hamilton Downtown at Rivers edge Amphitheater
- Hamilton Riverside Natural Area
- Fairfield Waterworks Park
- Colerain Township Heritage Park
- Shawnee Lookout Park
Registration for individuals and groups can be completed here.
If interested in signing up, please contact:
Groundwater Consortium Manager
Butler County Storm Water District
Butler Soil & Water Conservation District
Online Registration Forms
The Groundwater Consortium would like to thank our sponsors for Great Miami River Cleanup
- The Hamilton to New Baltimore Groundwater Consortium
- Butler County Water and Sewer
- Butler County Storm Water District
- MillerCoors, LLC
- Butler Soil and Water Conservation District
- Mechanical Supplies Company, Inc.
- Hamilton Community Foundation
- Butler County Sheriffs Office
- Butler County Metro Parks
- Schmidt’s Signery
- OKI Regional Council of Governments
- Madison Township
- St. Clair Township
- New Miami Village – no link available
- City of Middletown
- Friends of the Great Miami
- Colerain Township
- Oxbow, Inc.
- Hamilton County Park District
- Hamilton County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Crosby Township
- Total Quality Logistics
- Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office
- Symme’s Tavern on the Green
- Applebee’s of Fairfield