Great Miami River Cleanup
Clean Sweep of the Great Miami River
The Great Miami river is a tremendous resource for fishing, boating, canoeing, and biking while sustaining a variety of wildlife in Ohio. Did you know it also has an indirect affect on the citizens of Butler County? That’s because it is the main recharge for the Great Miami Buried Valley Aquifer which provides drinking water to several hundred thousand people throughout the region. Yet the river doesn’t always get the respect it deserves, often becoming the recipient of everything from plastic bottles, dirty diapers, used tires, oil cans, cars, trucks, old water- logged furniture and more.
Once a year several businesses, conservation organizations, government agencies and hundreds of volunteers from the community gather to show their appreciation and support of the river by donating their time and cleaning it up. Communities from Middletown to the Ohio River partner to organize over 14 different sites along the river bank as part of an overall effort to clean the entire length from Indian Lake north of Dayton, Ohio to the Ohio River.
WE CAN ALWAYS USE MORE VOLUNTEERS! It is a perfect opportunity for churches, schools, scouts, sports teams and families to get together, make a difference and learn a few interesting things about the river and wildlife that inhabits the area. On many occasions, volunteers have had encounters with Bald Eagles, Deer and other wildlife in previous cleanups.
Our next river cleanup is scheduled for Saturday October 24th, 2020 from 9am to noon. Garbage bags, gloves and water are supplied at every cleanup site. In exchange for participating you will receive a free t-shirt. Come “Make A Difference” by volunteering to clean up your community and environment!
The 2020 cleanup sites span along the river. For more info, visit www.greatmiamirivercleanup.org.
- Franklin Carmody Park
- Middletown Bicentennial Commons
- Madison Twp Neals Excavating
- Oxford: Corso Road Covered Bridge
- Oxford: Dewitt Cabin Parking Lot on St Rt 73
- Trenton: Community Park
- St. Rt 73 Bike Trail/Boat ramp Parking Lot
- Liberty Twp: Dudley Woods
- Liberty Twp: Aspen Trails HOA
- Woodsdale Metro Park
- Hamilton Downtown at Rivers edge Amphitheater
- Hamilton Riverside Natural Area
- Fairfield Waterworks Park
- Colerain Township Heritage Park
- Shawnee Lookout Park
To pre-register for the River Cleanup event or to find out more information visit:
For more information please contact:
Groundwater Consortium Manager
Butler County Storm Water District
Butler Soil & Water Conservation District
Online Registration Forms
The Groundwater Consortium would like to thank our sponsors for Great Miami River Cleanup
- The Hamilton to New Baltimore Groundwater Consortium
- Butler County Storm Water District
- City of Hamilton
- City of Fairfield
- Butler Soil and Water Conservation District
- Mechanical Supplies Company, Inc.
- Hamilton Community Foundation
- Butler County Metro Parks
- Signery 2
- Madison Township
- St. Clair Township
- City of Middletown
- Keep Middletown Beautiful
- Colerain Township
- Hamilton County Soil and Water Conservation District